Frequently Asked Questions

*Please note that all funds are quoted in US Dollars*

How’s the fishing? Check out our camp updates page for recent fishing reports and camp happenings, and like us on Facebook where we add guest photos throughout the season.

Do you sell fishing and hunting license? No. We do not offer this service at camp, so please purchase your license ahead of time.  We suggest purchasing online and printing at home, follow the link to do so now.    Buy your fishing license here.

Is there a length limit on walleyes? Cliff Lake is in Zone 4 under Ontario Regulations.  Our current regulations are 3 under 18.1 and one over if you hold a sportsman license.  Read about fishing regulations here.

What type of lures work best?  This is a great question! And very specific to time of year/water temp and what species you are targeting.  But general rules are … Lake Trout: trolling spoons, minnow harness, 3/8 – 1/2 oz jig head tipped with live bait or minnow imitation soft plastics. Muskies: spring and summer bucktails, suicks, top water, jerk baits. fall deep diving cranks, medusa and bulldawgs.  Smallmouth: tube jigs, top water, live bait.  Walleye: lindy rigs, 1/16 – 1/8 oz jig heads, worm harnesses. Northerns: spinner baits, jerk baits, top water.

How do I hold my reservation? $100 deposit per adult and $50 deposit per child is required to hold the reservation.  Your reservation is not guaranteed without a paid deposit.

What do I need to bring? If you are staying at Lost Bay Resort or Musky Bay Camp we provide all your bed linens and cooking utensils. At Cliff Lake Outpost you are required to bring your own bedding. All guests should bring their fishing stuff, bath towels, kitchen towels, dish soap, hand soap, and personal toiletries. We do sell some items in our store if guests forget.

How do I get there? We are located 27 miles due North of Vermilion Bay, Ontario on Highway 105. You can take Highway 17 West from Dryden or East from Kenora. We ask that all our guests check-in at Lost Bay and then proceed to your camp.

What is your address for GPS coordinates? We do not have one. Type Lost Bay Resort in Perrault Falls, Ontario and we should pop up. Otherwise we are located 27 miles due North of Vermilion Bay.

What is the tax rate? Hospitality stays are taxed at the Ontario rate of 13%. This is added on to your final bill at check out.

Is there cell phone service? Maybe. It strongly depends on your carrier, and phone itself. There is a cell phone tower just South of camp that is compatible with our local phone carrier Tbay Tel. Tbay Tel is partnered with AT&T and Verizon; therefore, individuals with those carriers can expect to have some signal, but all phones are different.

Is there WIFI? We do have internet at our main camp Lost Bay Resort, but we do reserve the right to restrict access to meet camp needs. Our bandwidth is only so big, and once we reach capacity we are shut off until our monthly renewal date. We ask guests that do use the internet to solely check emails or for simple browsing, such as the weather with a ten to fifteen minute time frame per day. We ask guests to stay off the internet on Friday and Saturdays, and to not upload, download, or stream anything.

Are there grills? Each cabin, at all three camps, is equipped with a charcoal grill. We do sell one time use charcoal bags at our camp store.

Do you have live bait? We do sell live bait at our main camp, Lost Bay Resort. We sell minnows, worms, and leeches by the dozen – prices depend on our distributors.

What are the boats like? Please see our boat package page under accommodations!  New for 2017 are four upgrades available – 1650 Discovery Crestliners, equipped with a 40 hp motor, 4 seats, Humminbird Helix 7 DP/GPS Combo, Minnkota Powerdrive 70 lb with iPilot, and 2 downriggers. 

Our package rental boat fleets vary by camp. Our Lost Bay boats are 16 foot Alumarines with padded swivel seats and 2017 electric start 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke motors. Our Musky Bay boats are 16 foot Nadens with 2017 electric start 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke motors, some of the boats are equipped with seat mounts, and depending on our Lost Bay guest needs, will have padded swivel seats, others are just bench seats. Our Outpost boats can vary from 16 foot Nadens with older model 20 hp Yamaha 2 stroke pull start motors to 14 foot boats with older model 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke pull start motors, and all Outpost boats are equipped with bench seats only. Every boat is equipped with two paddles, an anchor, and a safety kit.

What other boat stuff do we need to bring? We have very limited life jackets, nets, minnow buckets, and stringers. We ask guests to bring these items, if at all possible, to be able to provide guests who are flying or have forgotten something.

Can I add another person to my stay? We put guests into cabins based on group size, so please call and let us know as soon as you do and we’d be happy to accommodate additional guests.

What if someone from my group cancels? If you are in a cabin that has a minimum occupancy requirement and your group drops below that you will be charged for the minimum occupancy if you do not notify us ahead of time. If we are notified ahead of time we will apply the cancellation deposit to the final bill and move your group to an appropriate sized cabin.

If you are in the Timber Frame you must meet the minimum occupancy rate. If you are renting out the Outpost you must meet the minimum occupancy rate.

What are the minimum occupancy rates? The Timber Frame requires a minimum of 5 adults. The Outpost requires a minimum of 12 adults at the per person rate or the flat rate will apply if you indicated you were renting out the entire camp. Please call for all other minimum occupancy cabin requirements. Only cabin 7 and cabin 9 at Lost Bay do not have minimum occupancy rates.

Can I request a specific cabin? Yes. Guests can request cabins, BUT unless you are meeting the maximum occupancy rate we cannot guarantee your request. Some of our cabins require a minimum amount of guests to be able to make the request (separate from the minimum occupancy.) We reserve the right to change cabins at anytime to meet camp needs.

What if I’m worried about crossing the border?  There are multiple avenues that you can pursue to be confident about your border crossing experience.  We are a member of NOTO and they can help you. Call 1-800-655-5787. Or call the port of crossing and talk to the immigration officer about your scenario. They can answer all of your questions!